September 7, 2015

Francis' Journal

Francis Webster wrote in his journal about the first 48 years of his life.  He wrote his journal in a ledger book of the Cedar coop. I transcribed his journal from the ledger in 1960 for the Generations of Webster book. If anyone knows the location of the ledger, I would like to obtain it and photograph the pages. Penciled notes that were between lines of text in the original are enclosed in parenthesis in the following.
I Francis Webster second son of Thomas Webster and Mary Goward Webster was born on the 8th day of February 1830 in the parish of Wymondham County of Norfolk England. From the time I was 3 years old till I was 6. My health was very poor and my parents had but little hopes of my living to be a man. I went to school from the time I was 6 years old till I was 12. But most of the time I was only taught to read, consequently my education was limited.
I lived with my father till I was between 15 and 16 years old, laboring for Mr Godfry Weston. I afterwards lived with Weston for two years. But getting weary of working so hard, and being so closely confined I resolved to leave him. I obtained another situation where my work was lighter. Being employed in the gardens most of the time. My master Mr. John Cann was very kind to me during the time I worked for him and when I left him to go to Australia. In March of this year 1848 I first heard the Elders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I heard them preach a few times and I decided they had the true gospel according to the scriptures and my own ideas of the truth. I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints about the 17th of April 1848 by Elder John Ligmonce.
Being very ignorant and knowing but little about my duties as a Saint of God I started as an emigrant to Australia on the 28 of May 1848 and after a favourable passage with the exception of one storm in which our ship was dismasted I arrived in Sidney about the 20 of October.
On my arrival in Sidney I hired to doctor Harper for 3 months and as servants were scarce I had to perform all kinds of work such as cleaning floors cooking taking care of the horse and carriage ect. At the end of my engagement I left him and hired myself on board a small vessel trading between Sidney Gelong and Melbourne. I continued on the coast of Australia till the 29 of October 18.49 when I started for San Francisco California. On my journey I visited New Zealand Tahiti and the Sandwich Islands staying several days at each group.
And on the 31 day of March 18.50 I arrived in San Francisco. I went on shore the 2 day of April and agreed to pay 12 dollars per week for board and lodgings. I got employment at cutting a street (Through) Clarks point in the city of San Francisco. My wages was 5 dollars per day for 6 weeks. After this I had 75 dollars per month on the river between San Francisco and Stockton. I pitched my tent on the 5 day of July 18.50 on the Calaveras River and continued to work in the mines till Feb 16. 18.52 when I closed up my affairs and started for home. I left San Francisco on the 1 day of March 18.52 on board the Clipper Ship Hornet.
When I left California I had 15 hundred dollars in gold dust. I arrived in Panama on the 6 day of April and crossed the Isthmus to Aspinwall. Took passage on the Sierra Nevada Steam Ship on the 7 put into Kingston Jamaica on the 11 and arrived in New York city on the 16 of April.
During my stay of 8 days in New York I visited the Crystal Palace Barnums Museum and other public places. On the 24 of April I took passage on the Mail Steam Ship Herman for England. Arrived in South Hampton on the 8 day of May after an absence from England of 4 years lacking 20 days. During my stay in England I visited many public places especially in and around London.
I found that I had lost my standing with the Saints through going to Australia thence to California without the counsel of the church. Yet I often visited their meetings and always found them very interesting to me and when leaving for California on the 23 of June 1.52 I took several of the works of the church with me to read on the journey.
I took passage at South Hampton on the Steamship Washington and arrived in New York on the 8 of July. I bought a through ticket in New York by the Steamers Sierra Nevada and Unicorn via Jamaica and Panama and arrived in San Francisco on the 21 of August 1852. I again camped on the Calaveras River in the beginning of September and entered into the necessary arrangements for opening a provision Store in partnership with Mr. William Smith.
In October I was taken with the diarrhea which continued to trouble me for 7 months. During this sickness I sold out my interest in the store. In the Summer of 1.54. I sent My Father and Mother. 100 dollars which they received all right. In the general smash up of Banks in 54 I lost eight hundred dollars that I had deposited at Wrights Savings Bank but I had the good fortune to sell the certificate for 4 hundred dollars so that I only lost the half of the original deposit.
I sold out my claim in the mines for 150. dollars and left San Francisco with 12 hundred dollars on board the Goldengate Steam Ship. Put into Acapulco for coal arrived in Panama and crossed the Isthmus on the Railroad on the 3 of July. I went on board the Steamship on the 4th, put into Kingstone Jamaica on the 7, and arrived at New York on the 12 of July. I left New York on the 16 on board the Mail Steam ship Herman and arrived in South Hampton on the 28 of July 1.55
I visited the Crystal palace at Lydenham. I renewed my acquaintance with the Saints and was rebaptized on the 13 day of October. 18.55. by Elder James. G. Bleak. I was married on the 5 day of December 18.55 to Miss. Ann. Elizabeth Parsons. On the 23 of Dec. I was ordained a Priest.
On the 23 of May 18.56. I left Liverpool on board the ship Horizon paying the fare for 9 persons besides myself and Wife to Salt Lake City. Landed at Boston on the 30 of June traveled through the States to Ioway city by Railroad. I started from Ioway for Salt lake city with hand Carts on the 27 of July. I had the diarrhea all the way from Ioway city to Florence so bad that I have sat down on the road and been administered to by the Elders and got up and pulled my hand cart with renewed vigor. I started from Florence on the 3rd of September. At Wolf Creek on the Platt my Daughter Amy Elizabeth was born on the 27 of September. I arrived in Salt Lake City on the 30th day of  November 18.56.
On the 2nd day of Dec I started with the brethren for Cedar City. I paid my Tithing on the little clothing I brought with me and signed the Articles of Consecration 5 days after my arrival in Cedar. City.
My own feet were badly frozen on the journey
On the 7 of April. 18.58 my Son Francis was born
I was ordained an Elder by Isaac C. Haight Febry 19. 18.60
Feb. 20 appointed one of the Bishops Teachers
My son Thomas Josiah was born March 18.60
My mother in law Sister Amy Middleton died May 26. 18.61
My Son John James Godson was born November 22 18 61
December 5 18.61 I had a great party in honour of My Wedding day
January 12. 18.63 I was Blessed by Bishop Lunt and set apart a Teacher in the first ward in Cedar City
On the 11 day February .18.63 I was Elected a member of the city Council for Cedar City
April 17.18.63 I was Ordained a Seventy in the Sixty third Quorum under the Hands of Alexander. G. Ingram
May 13 1863 I was Introduced to the Prophet Brigham Young by Bishop Lunt
On the 25 of July 18.63. My Daughter Mary Ann Parsons was born and died on the 11 of August 18.63
November 18.63 a heavy load of Wood run over my son Francis Body without injuring him.
March 4 18 64 went with Bishop Lunt to Harmony to settle some difficulties
March 6. 1864. Elected one of the directors of the Agricultural Society of Cedar City
July 30 18.64. my Son Ephraim Parsons was born at eight oclock in the morning
September 11 Introduced to George A Smith
Oct. 9 1864 E. P. Blessed by Bishop Lunt
November 16 1864 lost myself in coming from the Iron Springs
February 11. 18.65 reelected to the City Council for Cedar
August 31 18.65 the Spirit of God came upon me in a remarkable manner
September 5. 18.65. I ordained Ephraim Parsons Webster to the Holy Priesthood he died this Morning
October. 18.65 I was Elected President of the Agricultural Society of Cedar City
Jan 4. 18.66 went to Pinto Creek with the Bishop to preach
February 17 Elected Lieutenant of the first Platoon of Infantry
February 18 went to Kanarah and Harmony with the Bishop
February 19 received my Patriarchal Blessing from Father Groves
March 1. 18.66 Elected one of the school Trustees for Cedar City
March 5 18.66 My son Herbert William born
March 25 18. 66 Blessed m;7 son Herbert William
May 5 18.66 attended Conference at St George and was ordained the six President of the Sixty third Quorum of Seventies by President Henry Herriman
July 24 (1866) I was Marshal of the day
October 18.66 1 was Reelected President of the Agricultural Society of Cedar City
February 11 18.67 A frost which Killed nearly all the fruit
July 21 18.67 My Son Francis Baptized by Elder Chr Jones Arthur Confirmed by Elder Samuel Leigh
September 20. 18.68 My Son Thomas Josiah Baptized by Elder Richard R Birkbec Confirmed by Elder Chr. J. Arthur
January 10 18 69 My Son Samuel Henry born at 10 oclock in Morning
March 71869 blessed my Son Samuel Henry
March 14 18.69 1 was ordained one of the high Council in the Parowan stake of Zion under the hands of Erastus Snow
March 13 1 became a member of the school of the Prophets in Parowan
May 14 18.69. I was Elected vice President of the Co-operative sheep association of Cedar City
June 6 18.70 I was appointed by the County Court of Iron County Justice of the peace for Cedar precinct
June the 5th 1870 1 was Reelected Vice president of the Cedar Co-operative sheep association
August 1 18.70 1 was Elected a member of the City Council for Cedar City Also Justice of the peace for Cedar precinct
Feb.ry 1. (1871) My daughter Ida Jane was born at eight oclock in the Morning
Feb.ry 6 (1871) the ground was broke and dedicated for a new meeting house in Cedar City the dedicatory prayer was offered by Edward Stevenson of Salt Lake City
April 5.th 1871I was Elected a director in the Cedar Cooperative Mercantile and Manufacturing association
May 4/ 71 Blessed my Daughter Ida Jane
June 3rd 1871 I was Elected President of the Cedar Coop. Sheep association.
Sep 3.rd 1871 My Son John James Godson Baptized by Elder Samuel Burnhurst Confirmed by Laban Morrell Sen.
Aug.st 1872 I was Elected Mayor of Cedar City
April 7th 1874 My Son Herbert William was Baptized by Myself and Confirmed by Thos. Thorl
August 3rd 1874 I was reelected Mayor of Cedar City
Oct. 3rd 1874 my Son Heleman was born and blessed on Dec. 13th by myself Francis Webster. . . .
November 3rd 1875 I was Elected President of the Cedar Coop Sheep Association
November 10th 1875 I was appointed vise President of the Cedar Coop Mercantile and Manufacturing society
Dec 9th 1875 My daughter Amy Elizabeth was blessed and set apart as one of the Counselors to the Presidentess of the Young Ladies Retrenchment Society of Cedar City under the hands of Elder Jens Neilson
April 1876 I was Elected President of the Cedar Coop. Mercantile Institution
August 7th 1876 I was Elected Representative to the Territorial Legislature for Iron County
November 13th 1876 I was Elected President of the Cedar Coop. Sheep Association
Jan. 1st 1877 I was present at the dedication of a portion of the St George Temple. . . .
August 1877 I was ordained and set apart as second counselor to Bishop Chr. J. Arthur by Apostle Erastus Snow . . .
January 14th 1878 Met in City Hall Salt Lake City and was Sworn in as Representative from Iron County [lower house in the 23rd session of the Utah legislature]
March 20th 1878 was Elected President of Coop Mercantile & Manufacturing Institution of Cedar City
Aug 1878 Elected President of the Coop Sheep Association of Cedar City. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment